Ultimately you could have everything I think they want, or you think they want and still not get them to sign you. So unless I am going to personally sign you to my label (which I don’t have by the way) I can’t honestly answer that question.
And be very weary of someone who is not in a position to sign you, who tells you they do know what the labels are looking for. I have walked an artist into labels who were beautiful, great singers, great performers, had great songs. No Deal! I have taken artist into labels with the same description as I just mentioned and they got a deal. The REAL answer is ONLY the Label knows at that time what they are looking for. Sometimes TIMING IS EVERYTHING.
I can with ALL certainty tell you what they ARE NOT LOOKING FOR.
- Someone who sounds like everyone else.
- Someone who looks like everyone else.
- Someone who cannot answer them when asked “Why Do You Think I Should Sign You?”
- Someone who makes EXCUSES.
- Someone who LACKS MOTIVATION!
- Someone who CANNOT carry on a conversation without looking at their phone.
- Someone who can’t carry on a conversation.
- Someone who can’t PERFORM LIVE
- Over Produced Demos that when performed Acoustic don’t sound anything like you.
I will stop there and give you this bit of information. 95% of your performance opportunities for the first year when you get signed to a label will be Acoustic. So make sure your songs are also strong stripped down. Also, unless you are a band looking for a deal, learn to perform solo, duo or at the most a trio.
If you would like to learn what I like to call “The 7 Keys To Increasing Your Odds in The Music Business” click on the Free Video Link above.